A warm welcome to the 2017 Montecito International Music Festival! This summer will mark the 10th season of our festival, and will prove to be spectacular in every way. Our guest artists this year will include Lynn Harrell, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Glenn Dicterow, Andres Cardenes, Cho Liang Lin, Pablo Zinger, and Leslie Umphrey.
Montecito International Music Festival continues to provide a rigorous, stimulating musical environment where participants and faculty co-exist on the beautiful La Sierra University campus. Private lessons are complemented by chamber ensembles, masterclasses, student orchestras, and plenty of performances.
We welcome and encourage you to become a member of the Montecito family!
Recently appointed as an International Admission Director at Montecito International Music Festival, Mrs. Genii Ahn, making a name for herself as an independent college counselor, has successfully helped educate hundreds of students where they now attend notable schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Pomona, U Penn, Williams, Cornell, Haverford, USC, Swarthmore, Boston College, West Point, etc. She has not only helped individual students, but also has reached out to others by giving lectures at numerous areas: high schools, universities, and graduate admission college process outlets, including Radio Korea 1540AM, the Korea Herald Newspaper, and LA Times.
- Five (5) private lessons and four (4) chamber music coaching sessions
- Student participation in solo recitals, chamber ensembles or both. This is a very important component of the Festival.
- Studio classes and master classes by our esteemed resident faculty
- Master classes by Special Guest Artists. Student auditions in July for an opportunity to play in master classes and will be chosen by a panel of resident faculty. All students will benefit from observing these musical legends.
- Faculty recitals, concerts and chamber music ensembles. Fellowship and Junior Fellowship students will have opportunity to perform with Special Guest Artists and resident faculty
- Chamber orchestra for pre-college students
- Outreach concerts at local churches and senior citizen centers (optional)
- World-class pianists will accompany master classes, lessons and student concerts.
- Mentoring by incredible faculty who are very accommodating to the artistic needs and musical growth of our students.
We are more than the sum of our voices. What you ultimately discover at the end of these ten days, is yours alone to know and understand. There isn’t one formulaic answer to satisfy all singers at one time. In this art, all answers can vary and will vary. In the end, you will determine what kind of singer you are and will become.
- Yoga and Health for Singers – Taught by Darci Lobdell (From Albuquerque, NM)
- Basics of Alexander Technique – Taught by Darci Lobdell
- The Entrepreneur Singer – Taught by Javier Gonzalez (Southern California)
- Opera & Art Song – Taught by Raejin Lee
- The Singer & The Stage – Taught by Raejin Lee
- Voice Lessons Gonzalez, Umphrey, Lee
- Vocal Session: July 17, 2018 – July 27, 2018
The newly established composition program offers participants an exciting opportunity to come together for 10 days of lectures, masterclasses, lessons, and rehearsals. Composition Fellows work with a designated ensemble to realize a new piece written for the occasion. Master classes, private lessons, and coached rehearsals provide ample opportunity to workshop the new piece in a collaborative and supportive environment.
Composition Participants Receive:
- Private composition classes
- Coached ensemble rehearsals
- Master classes by our esteemed resident faculty
- Master classes by Special Guest Composers
- Group classes on topics such as the use of technology, contemporary practices, and aesthetics
- Lectures by Special Guest Composers
- Faculty recitals, concerts, and chamber music ensembles
- All participants receive mentoring by incredible faculty who are very accommodating to the artistic needs and musical growth of our students
- Composition Session: July 8-18
Schedule for a typical day:
9-10am Lecture on contemporary instrumental techniques
10:30-11:30am Private Composition lesson
1:15-2:15pm Coached ensemble rehearsal
2:30-4:30pm Master class
Programs at a Glance
- Instrumental Session: July 8 – July 27, 2018
- 5 private lessons
- 4 chamber music coaching sessions
- studio classes and master classes
- Vocal Session: July 17 – July 27, 2018
- Yoga & health for singer
- Voice lessons
- Composition Session: July 8 – July 18, 2018
- Composition lessons
- Masterclasses and rehearsal coachings
- Lectures on contemporary practices
If you are applying for a scholarship, you must submit your application by March 1.
If you are a general applicant, you must submit your application by March 15.
This year, Montecito International Music Festival will be held at La Sierra University in Southern California. La Sierra boasts idyllic surroundings, superb facilities and close proximity to all the musical and recreational attractions of the Los Angeles/Southern California area. Participants will be housed in modern, comfortable dormitory rooms and will have full access to campus amenities. Master classes and recitals will be held at beautiful campus locations, inspiring students and faculty to exchange musical ideas and knowledge.
Festival Resources & Forms
Forms and Documents related to the music festival. Forms are not yet available for 2018.
If you have any questions, please email Marilyn Ho-Kawate at firstname.lastname@example.org.